Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Suspicious slavery allegations from Daniel Fallshaw and Violeta Ayala revive Koalagate

Remember the Australian filmmakers Polisario detained in May? They said Polisario was mad at them because they had uncovered evidence of slavery in Tindouf. At the time certain blogs threw fits at the idea of Polisario holding slaves, but then the story went cold.

Now, though, the filmmakers, Daniel Fallshaw and Violeta Ayala, have released a press release through the "Together Foundation" that got picked up by a bunch of websites including AOL News, Yahoo, and Forbes. The press release expands their claims and introduces some new characters to the drama, namely, the Together Foundation. Their allegations might be true, but I've done some digging and it looks fishy.

First, I called Philippe Elghouayel, the contact listed on the press release (you can too: 914-231-6804). Philippe was less than pleased to talk with me. The first thing he said was "Where are you calling from?!". I deal with a lot of PR flaks working for the Voice, but I've never had one react like that. After I said I just wanted to find the Together Foundation's website because it didn't come up in Google searches, he snarled it at me. I'll probably be paying Philippe a call again soon.

Anyway, check out their website. It's an organization that's existed since 2005 and is dedicated to ending slavery in Tindouf, but I've never heard of them before, and no one else I've talked to has either. The Foundation's mediocre website says it's going to launch an expedition to Tindouf to investigate slavery. I emailed them to sign up--why don't you?

Looking at their website, I'm thinking "clumsy hatchet job", but where's the Morocco link? Check out the About page, which lists 5 people associated with the Foundation. Turns out Philippe's their president and Gregory Temkin (also written Tyomkin in the press release) is the vice-president. The board of advisors has three members: Emily Toll, Steve Pershing, and a director at the Maghreb Center.

At this point, the only people I've found information. But what information it is! Philippe Elghouayel was the head of the UN Development Program's Russia Office and was linked to fraud (credit to Chasli of Western Sahara Endgame). The Maghreb Center is where the real juice is, though.

It's not officially run by Morocco. But I attended one of its events at Georgetown that touched only briefly Western Sahara using milquetoast Jacques Rousselier. Its website doesn't list Western Sahara as a Maghreb country and autonomy fan I. William Zartman is on the advisory board. Update: After further talk with the Center's director, I've been convinced of its nonpartisanship on the Western Sahara issue. Their group also has pro-independence academics.

[redacted because this person, at director Maghreb Center claims he's never worked for the Together Foundation, and even I sometimes appreciate not ruining reputations. The point is the Together Foundation claimed him as their own just because he talked to them about slavery]

People are saying Morocco's agents in the US are tied to this. For his part, Robert Holley of the Moroccan-American Center for Policy pleads ignorance. If he's telling the truth, that doesn't mean Morocco's hands are clean--there's a bizarre interlocking web of PR and lobbying firms that are working for Morocco outside of the MACP.

Right now, it's a lot of potential links but nothing definite as to who's backing these allegations. aMore as I find it. If you have any information about the Together Foundation and its members or slavery in Tindouf, please comment or email me.

Flickr photo from Saveena.

20 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:47 AM

    will :you sounds like from alabama mate you should be ashamed of yourself defending poliarsso for their wrong doing slavery its a live and kiking in tindouf prison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obviously not defending slavery. I'm gathering more information on what even you must admit are a sketchy bunch of individuals.

    If there is slavery in the camps, how come Human Rights Watch and Amnesty never mention it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's weird about Talal is that his mixes totally bogus groups (Together Foundation, the Libyan thing), possibly real groups like the Maghreb Center, and legitimate things like the NDI and Brookings.

    That's huge that Toll and Pershing went off the board of advisors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just called the number to ask them about who were the victim of slavery and the said that was children and women involved in slavery and I asked them who were them masters the said the Polisario...What rubbis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:40 PM

    the truth hurt poliarsso its just a bunch of criminals holding innocent sahraouis for 30 years and you guys are playing the same symphony over and over you sounds like you've been hypnotise by the criminals

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:56 PM

    This just gets weirder and weirder.

    The e-mail account supplied in the contact info for Philippe El Ghouayel (google gapp@nyc.rr.com) belongs to someone who is anonymously selling an antique $300 fire engine toy pedal-car.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. How did you find that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ongoing tragic purge of comments that mention a certain Maghreb Center director. In his deleted comments, Chasli also said:

    "Also, did you catch that the Together Foundation lost 2/3 of its Advisory Board over night as Emily Toll and Steve Pershing mysteriously disappeared.

    Anyway, to say that the Together Foundation looks suspect is certainly an understatement."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you looked at the website of the movie itself though?? www.thewallofshame.info

    These are award winning documentary journaists and the site is very comprehensive. I have a feeling the best people for you to contact to get first hand information are the documentary directors themselves.

    Give it a go and let us know what you find out no. Sounds like you 'investigated' only one resource, what you dub as the 'bogus' group TOgether Foundation. First, 'bogus,' little harsh, second: you are NOT investigating if you only research one avenue so, again, since you have sooo much time on your hands to knock people off and slag about it repeatedly on a blog, maybe you also have time to really look into the topic.

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:22 AM

    west sahara is a part of Morocco. period.

    ReplyDelete
  13. EVISU ジーンズ 価格Serial denim entrepreneur Scott Morrison is at it again.EVISU ジーンズ 直営店 He's the co-founder behind both Paper Denim and Cloth and Earnest Sewn, and was CEO and creative director for Evisu before they shuttered their US business and moved the entire operation to Hong Kong. Now,エヴィス ジーンズ 店舗 he's launching a new line of denim called 3x1エヴィス ジーンズ.

    ReplyDelete
  14. EVISU ジーンズ 価格Serial denim entrepreneur Scott Morrison is at it again.EVISU ジーンズ 直営店 He's the co-founder behind both Paper Denim and Cloth and Earnest Sewn, and was CEO and creative director for Evisu before they shuttered their US business and moved the entire operation to Hong Kong. Now,エヴィス ジーンズ 店舗 he's launching a new line of denim called 3x1エヴィス ジーンズ.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:31 PM

    Thanks for finally writing about > "Suspicious slavery allegations from Daniel Fallshaw and Violeta Ayala revive Koalagate" < Liked it!

    Here is my website :: solavei

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:44 AM

    Link exchange is nothing else but it is only placing the other person's weblog link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do similar in favor of you.

    Here is my web-site; pirellityres.org

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:23 AM

    Fine way of describing, and good post to take facts concerning my presentation
    subject matter, which i am going to present in university.


    Look into my blog post I Knew You Were Trouble - Taylor Swift (Kim Viera Cover)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous3:50 AM

    Hi! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site
    with us so I came to give it a look. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking
    and will be tweeting this to my followers! Wonderful blog and brilliant design.


    Feel free to visit my blog post solavei

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10:29 PM

    This is very fascinating, You are an overly professional blogger.

    I have joined your rss feed and look forward to in the hunt for extra
    of your wonderful post. Additionally, I've shared your web site in my social networks

    Here is my website: The web’s premiere DJ community

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous2:58 AM

    Hello! I could have sworn I've visited this web site before but after going through a few of the articles I realized it's new to me.
    Regardless, I'm definitely delighted I came across it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back regularly!


    Also visit my blog post: I Knew You Were Trouble (Kim Viera Cover)

    ReplyDelete