Thursday, February 08, 2007

Maghreb Symposium today


I'm all over this. The Maghreb Center, a new organization promoting integration between Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, and Algeria (Western Sahara is conspicuously absent from the map) is hosting its inaugural conference at Georgetown.

I'd like to blow the day at panels, but Thursday's my busy day. I am, however, more than willing to skip International Relations to attend "The Security Environment in the Maghreb". Former MINURSO spokesman Jacques Roussellier is presenting his paper, "Western Sahara: Disputed Sovereignty or Regional Conflict?". While there are rumors about which country is founding the Center, Western Sahara discussions are invariably fun. I'll be circulating my homemade business cards to add to the Georgetown flavor.

I hope the Center continues to have events like this. They pretty much have to, since Georgetown's conference room (left) is so well-appointed.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:18 AM

    From the Maghreb Center home page http://maghrebcenter.org/ :

    "The Maghreb Center is independent of any government, political ideology, economic interest or religion. For its funding, the Center relies on its members’ contributions, on donations, and research grants."

    ReplyDelete