Sunday, November 26, 2006

Who is this Will character?

Here's me (right) with Mohammed Abdelaziz, the president of the Western Sahara. To read the story of how I met him, click here.

Hi! My name's Will Sommer and I write One Hump or Two?. I started writing it in August 2006 because I discovered that Western Sahara had been occupied for 30 years and I knew nothing about it. Originally, I wrote the blog because I wanted to find more and hadn't decided which side I supported. Since then, I've become involved in promoting the Sahrawi right to self-determination.

Thanks for checking out my blog. I hope you enjoy it and become interested in the Western Sahara.

How Did the Western Sahara Seduce You?
This is an embarrassing story, but I'll tell you because I appreciate that you're reading my blog. I used to, and occasionally still do, play Superpower, a forum-based game where people pretend to be countries. One day, the Moroccan player posted about how well he was oppressing the Western Sahara.

I didn't know what he was talking about at the time, but a trip to Wikipedia later, I was slightly more informed and much more intrigued by the conflict and the Sahrawi people.

7 Things About Me
  • I'm a student at Georgetown University in Washington, DC.
  • I also write for The Georgetown Voice and its blog, Vox Populi.
  • I'm studying international politics and Arabic. Feel free to test my Arabic, but don't be surprised if I have no idea what you mean.
  • I lived in Dubai for 3 years and loved it, but I picked up absolutely no Arabic.
  • My favorite band is the Hold Steady, and my favorite book is Home Land.
  • I'm wild for the Western Sahara, and I also really like the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
  • I consider a referendum on Western Saharan independence the only fair resolution to the conflict.

6 comments:

  1. Why did this just show up in my newest posts on Technorati?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is my link?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Begging for links, Dan? How fast you've become a problogger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:13 AM

    Hey!! We are having a campaign about WS in our university and wanted to show a documentary about the conflict! I've been searching and there is not tha many... Would you suggest one?? I've checked Western Sahara, Africa's last colony... but I don't know were I can get a hold of it!!

    Thanks

    Adriana Kyvik
    adrikyvik@yahoo.es

    ReplyDelete
  5. taoufiq gazoulit11:48 AM

    i do salute your interest about the Western sahara ,therefore iam asking you to learn the history of the area ,and moreprecisely the relationship between the Kingdom of Morocco and the Sahara since 18886 , and also the role of Spain in this matter, with all respect you cannot possibly be fair just about any issue without being aware of its history

    ReplyDelete