Monday, August 28, 2006

Religious freedom in Morocco is more like freedom for one religion

I've mentioned before that the National Clergy Council is trying to seduce the evangelical community away from supporting the Saharawis. Part of their pitch is Morocco's openness to Christianity. On my flight to Washington, I got anecdotal proof that Morocco may not value diversity as much as they say they do.

At the NCC luncheon, a man asked if it was possible to open a bible college in Morocco. Rob Schenck, head of the NCC and creepy dude about town, said it was, you just had to be careful not to offend people with proselytizing. This satisfied the crowd of religious leaders.

On my flight to Washington, I sat next to a girl from Texas A&M who studied abroad in Spain. While I was telling her about the Western Sahara, she shared her own story about Morocco. Some of her friends, Texas evangelicals, visited Morocco from Spain. On several occasions bibles were seized and thrown away by Moroccan authorities at customs. This presents a different picture than that the NCC paints of Morocco.

Now, I understand many countries censor religious paraphernalia. And an anecdote from an anonymous Aggie isn't incontrovertible proof. I'm just saying that if you want to start a bible school in Morocco, I hope you have parts memorized.

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking of opening several Bible school franchise locations in Morocco, so I'm glad to have this information, and will now re-think my strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EVISU ジーンズ 価格Serial denim entrepreneur Scott Morrison is at it again.EVISU ジーンズ 直営店 He's the co-founder behind both Paper Denim and Cloth and Earnest Sewn, and was CEO and creative director for Evisu before they shuttered their US business and moved the entire operation to Hong Kong. Now,エヴィス ジーンズ 店舗 he's launching a new line of denim called 3x1エヴィス ジーンズ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic goods from you, man. Ive study your stuff ahead of and youre just as well amazing. I enjoy what youve got right here, adore what youre stating and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you even now manage to help keep it wise. I cant wait to go through additional from you. That is really an incredible weblog.

    ReplyDelete