Thursday, August 10, 2006

One reason so few people in America know about the Western Sahara is because there exists no organization that I know of devoted to a fair referendum on independence among the Saharawis.

When I started looking into the region, the nice folks at ARSO (Association de soutien à un référendum libre et régulier au Sahara Occidental--I don't speak French either) referred me to the US-Western Sahara Foundation. I emailed both of the heads, but they never responded, and I never found a website.

Long story short: someone should start a US Western Sahara organization. As the most powerful nation in the world, and Morocco's best Western ally, along with France, the United States has an obligation to look into Morocco's alleged abuses against the Sahrawis. The only way for that to happen is if concerned citizens work together and lobby Congress and the State Department.

No comments:

Post a Comment